This re-scheduled Round 4 fixture saw six goals in total with three in each half duly shared between the Wollongong Wolves and Sydney Olympic.  The Wolves clawed back from an initial goal to equalize then concede the lead once again, only to score two goals in two minutes to take the advantage. This was held until well into the four minutes of added time until an Olympic shot took a wicked deflection and entered the Wolves’ domain to salvage a point. This was a frustrating way to end for the home team who looked home and hosed. However, as the cliché say, it is never over until that final whistle. During the match there were a couple of incidents that garnered a shout for penalty, a suspected Olympic hand ball in the box and two Wolves defenders pulled down an attacker on two occasions, but these exaltations went unheeded. A disallowed Lachlan Scott goal due to an offside decision also added to some frustration.


The Wolves kicked off proceedings running towards the northern end. Olympic showed their intent early when Oliver Purflett put a cross in which was blocked by Senna Stevenson. At the other end Peter Simonoski weaved his way into the penalty area eluding a defender before shooting. The Olympic custodian Nick Sorras went down to thwart Simonoski’s attempt. A further attempt by Simonoski five minutes in narrowly went by the right post and five minutes later Michael Glassock blocked his effort. 


The first goal emanated in the thirteenth minute. An Olympic throw-in taken by Mathieu Cordier went to Roy O’Donovan who stuck his leg out to touch it down to Purflett in the centre. He in turn moved quickly to his right before burying his right-footed shot high into the goal giving the Wolves’ custodian Hayden Durose little chance.    


The Wolves restored parity following a Joshua Macdonald corner kick from the right side. He whipped it in and Darcy Madden pushed it high as it bounced, with the ball going to the far post to Banri Kanaizumi. He ploughed it with his left foot back to Macdonald who subsequently provided another delightful ball in. Kanaizumi got down low with Whiteside also vying for the ball, to produce a determined headed goal. It was his initial goal for the Wolves.


Olympic went ahead after former A-League player Fabio Ferrara on forty-five minutes played the ball into the box with Madden heading the ball out.  The defence did not gain possession allowing Darcy Burgess to take control of the loose ball with his subsequent left footed low shot zooming into the goal close to Durose’s right post. Burgess had previously score one goal so far this season.   


Following a Macdonald free kick just outside the box, Leroy Jennings after receiving a Madden pass was inconvenienced by Ferrara. Macdonald sent in from the right to the far post. Scott got to it on the by line and pushed for Nicholas Duarte. His shot from close in was blocked on the line. Jennings came to shoot the loose ball into the goal from near the goal area line with two defenders trying valiantly, but in vain to stop. This was his inaugural goal for this season.


Glassock pushed the ball into touch inadvertently and Madden took the resultant throw. Cordier fouled Duarte and Macdonald took the free kick in a near identical position as the one that lead to Jennings’ goal. This time it was curled in and Lachlan Scott produced a fine header that beat Sorras. This was the striker’s fifth goal of the season and is the Wolves’ top scorer at this stage of the competition.


Guy Knight and Burgess were vying for the ball and it went ultimately into touch. Cordier took the throw-in. The ball went high into the box. Scott who was back in defence headed it out. The ball went out and Burgess picked it up outside the penalty arc. He took a few touches as he moved to his right before unleashing a pile driver. However, on its way the ball was deflected deceiving a diving Durose somewhat. 


Olympic tried to achieve the winner by applying pressure on the Wolves. Brendan Cholakian tried a long pass up to Marley Peterson but Madden won out to take the ball. O’Donovan went down in the area and looked for a penalty that was not given. A Sam Illhatton header failed to change the result and Durose pulled off a great save to deny a winner though Marley Peterson.


The game was played at a cracking pace, as the two teams were eager to gain the advantage. There were host of shots other than the goals Madden’s effort went wide and Jennings went close when Sorras pushed his enterprising free kick around the post in the last ten minutes before half time. Sorras also denied a Simonoski threat in this time period. A Mcillhatton attempt went skywards.   


With six minutes to go McIllhatton who was impressive in midfield with his probing and incisive passing, made a good run down the left and dispatched an enticing cross. However, there was nary a touch and a later, Cordier goal effort was blocked. Roy O’Donovan was having a quieter game until he sprang into action with a top headed shot that Durose was equal to.


Each team goes away with a point in the final wash-up and each team could have been victorious had circumstances turned out for the best. However, it was not to be. The Wolves led for twenty-five minutes and let it slip at the end, while Olympic led for a total of thirty-nine minutes.  


Coach Luke Wilkshire -  ‘it was very disappointing to concede so late with a goal like that. Credit for our comeback we got back in front and we wanted to see the game out but It feels like a loss…. we have to recover and move on as we have a big game against Marconi next Saturday…  There were critical moments conceding some of those goals and we have to rectify those situations. We have a lot of positives to take out of this game.’


Defender/wingback Darcy Madden - ‘it was frustrating finish and a frustrating start. After the first ten minutes we stated to dominate right until the last ten minutes and that set us back. We had momentum and that last fifteen minutes or so turned into a scrap. We could have some extra ones but they got a deflection to score…. They were a strong team but it felt like two points lost rather than one point gained.  Mentally we will be ready to go on Saturday against Marconi and against some old friends… We are undefeated at home.’


Central Defender Banri Kanaizumi and goal scorer – ‘it was a tough game for us as we had to win. We should have won. It was very disappointing to concede three goals. It was good to score and it wasn’t my first one in this division.’ (He had scored for previous club Rockdale Ilinden.)







Banri Kanaizumi 30’ Leroy Jennings 66’ Lachlan Scott 67’


SYDNEY OLYMPIC …………..……………….3


Oliver Purflett 13’ Darcy Burgess 45, 90+





WEDNESDAY 27th April 2022


7.30 p.m. Kick Off




Coach: Luke Wilkshire 


1.Hayden Durose (GK) 3.Darcy Madden 5.Banri Kanaizumi 6.Senna Stevenson (4.Nikola Djordjevic 63’) 9.Peter Simonoski (Nick Duarte 56’) 10.Takumu Tsujimura 11.Josh Macdonald (19.Jake Lavalle) 15.Nick Littler 16.Guy Knight (Capt.) 22.Leroy Jennings 24.Lachlan Scott


Substitutes not used: 13.Thomas Butkovic 12.Harrison Taranto 6.Nav Darjani  


Yellow Cards: 24.Lachlan Scott 62’ Joshua Macdonald 90+1

Red Cards: Nil




Coach: Ante Juric


1.Nick Sorras 2.Thomas Whiteside (17.Marley Peterson 74’) 3.Nikola Udjer 4.Benjamin Van Meurs 5.Michael Glassock 7.Will Angel (12.Mathieu Cordier 9’) 8.Sam McIlhatton 9. Oliver Pufflet 22.Fabio Ferreira (23.Daniel Dias 74’)

19. Darcy Burgess (10.Brendan Cholakian 88’) 99. Roy O’Donovan


Substitutes Not Used:  20. Chris Parsons


Yellow Cards: 8.Sam Mcillhatton 29’ Michael Glassock 34’ 12.Matthieu Cordier 77’



Red Cards: nil



By Malcolm Rowney